Cape Town Natural Hair Fest 2016 - Recap


December 2016 found me attending the first ever Cape Town Natural Hair Fest in beautiful Muizenburg. I not only represented myself as Jems of A Natural but also represented The Perfect Hair. This was not the first hair meetup (remember the my-hairstory-event), it was the first Natural Hair Festival. Talk about a truly fabulous time surrounded by fros of all textures, shapes and beauty - just like us women - beautiful collectively and beautiful individually.
I arrived within the given time to register and set up our stall as a vendor at the event and was pleasantly surprised to find a queue already forming outside the venue - wow. There was already a buzz that electrified the air with excitement. Special thanks to Lynn of Tarka Shop who went over and above all challenges that tried to come our way and ensured we got our TPH products for our stall, much love. Special thanks to The Sister (and the nephew) who was by my side through it all as I do not think I would have endured the day so wonderfully had she not been there to assist. 

The venue was just right and arranged with the vendors and seating area all together. Ample food and drinks was in supply from various vendors and there was an array of hair and skin care and accessories on sale and not all pictured below. (I think the only point of improvement would perhaps be the sound - everyone was having such a good time that not all the talks were heard as some people still wanted to chat and just buy products than hear the talks I guess - maybe a breakaway area for next time but not too secluded). Non the less, once those doors opened, we got super busy explaining, meeting new people, meeting people from past events, meeting followers from social media, guiding, giving advise, educating, smiling, selling, taking pics (wish I had taken more), jiving, eating, hugging, buying, laughing, shouting and had a super awesome day.  

The foot traffic count was more than 800 - yes that was 800 women (and men and children (o:) who came out to enjoy the event. I don't know if you understand just how much the event meant to not just the attendees but to all who participated - Cape Town fros are ready to embrace their curls, kinks and coils and in fact most have already done so regardless of all the hair politics and connotations and provocations from family members near and far - bossiekop/kroeskop rocks! Believe it.

Thank you to the amazing organisors - Amanda Cook, Eleanor J'adore, Kasuba Stuurman and Chantal De Kock - it was wonderful finally meeting those I had not met before and thank you for an exceptional event. We look forward to whats to come in the years ahead. No pressure lol

I wanted this post to consist of more visuals than anything and so herewith, details of some of the pics and more can be found on my Instagram page - JemsOfANatural: (much love and as always Listen to Your Hair).
Other images and videos I have come across from other enthusiasts can be found:
Cape Town Naturally Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/capetownnaturally/photo
 







 


Comments