Informal Product Test - The Perfect Kinky Coil


Taryn Gill of The Perfect Hair, importer and supplier of international hair care brands such as As I Am Naturally, Mixed Chicks, Carols Daughter and Keracare is grabbing the bull by the horns and creating a hair care brand of her own - The Perfect Kinky Coil. Total excitement!

(I have ordered from The Perfect Hair before, see my perfect experience HERE and after reading my thoughts on more product availability in that post, its truly exciting to see where we are and where we are going).

She kindly blessed me with samples of the range to be tested before they are certified and then mass produced to be available for all of our beautiful heads of hair here in South Africa. I decided to give my initial feedback in the form of a post and share the excitement of whats to come with all.

The products are all natural, and do not contain any harmful chemicals, parabens, sulphates or petroleum, (independant bio-chemists will be verifying all of this in the coming month). The range consists of the following:

  • An African-Inspired Co-Wash with coconut oils, locally sourced mongongo, marula and kalahari melon seed oils as a well as a dollop of grapeseed oil to aid hair growth. 
  • A Deep Conditioner to penetrate the hair shaft with a blend of coconut, avocado, mongongo, marula and kalahari melon seed oils for deep-deep conditioning. 
  • A Coil Definer aimed at preventing shrinkage. It promises to do this by further penetrating the hair with the cream's natural nutrients to boost moisture, soften and help ease the dreaded shrink.

The test samples
                            The co-wash creamy texture  
Hair Before using the products
So far The Hair Loves:
  The scent. One thing I find a number of locally produced hair care products struggle with is the scent/smell/fragrance of their product...we are still to get our products on par to that of the international brands who also use natural ingredients. This range so far smells lovely and not over powering at all. The hair also loves the clumping ability especially with the deep conditioner. Lastly (as I want to leave some things to say when I get the full sized versions), that although I embrace my shrinkage, the coil definer does indeed prevent some shrinkage - it was one of the first things I noticed straight after applying it. I also noticed that my hair preferred the styler first before any oil and adding oil is just out of personal choice but not really necessary as the styler has sufficient oil and shine.
 Above: Before and After applying Deep Conditioner - see the clumping
 Above: Left: Hair with Deep Conditioner which I kept on for most of the day. Right: The deep conditioner is rinsed out
So far The Hair Wanted More or Less of OR The Hair Did Not Take Well To: I thought about this and tried to come up with a response but honestly could not. Maybe more slip in the co-wash but this is just personal preferance and maybe more moisturising staying ability but with the climate we have in JHB the Coil Definer actually did a good job - I went on to day two without reapplying and just spritzing some water and hair was still soft by the end of the day. Day three was pushing it but only because I put my night cap on and went straight to bed without doing anything else the night before.  I would have to try other techniques such as spritzing some water or adding an oil and doing the green house method over night but will try all of this when I get a full sized product.
 Above: The Curl Definer is applied 
 Above: Day Two Hair 
 Above: Another day during the week where the hair was co-washed and the curl definer and some oil applied

So far, so good and looking forward to whats to come.

My answer to some direct questions are as follows:

How does it smell? Has a lovely melon scent, not too sweet or overpowering - I love it.
How does it feel? All the products are white in colour and have a nice creamy texture which makes it easy to apply and distribute through the hair.
Are you experiencing better coil control? Yes, definately, there was some great coil formation and clumping and the styler also has some hold, no crunch. I still had some frizz but my hair can be quite frizzy and I embrace this.
Is there any moisturising benefit? Still shrinking as much? My hair is a combination of curls and textures with tighter coils in the back than the front. Yes there is some moisturising benefit in all 3 products maybe more in the styler and I noticed this more when I detangled damp hair which was drying pretty quickly as I had sectioned it to apply the styler and as I soon as I applied the styler, the hair formed some nice coils and looked even more damp, only something with water in it would do. As I smoothed the styler into the hair I definitely noticed less shrinkage. The shrinkage in the back did vary and this would be normal due to climate and other factors which is okay,  
Would you pay R120 for a 250ml bottle? Yes. As much as I would like it to be cheaper so as to make it more accessible, I've noticed the price of other locally produced products being within this price range so I would pay that amount for a good quality product which so far these appear to be.

So folk, I hope you are as excited as I am as soon we can all rock the Perfect Kinky Coil.

Follow Taryn and the Perfect Hair on all platforms - Twitter, Facebook, so you will be informed of everything going on with these products.

Listen to your hair.
    

Comments

  1. Very exciting. May I ask why you left the DC on your hair for most of the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Channel. I like to get the full effect of the DCs when I use them and especially when I use them without heat. If I'm not using heat then leaving them on longer will allow them to penetrate the hair shaft better so I usually leave them in for as long as I can. If I'm in a rush then I will leave them in for a short while similar to conditioner then rinse but try to take the leaving in longer or with heat option. On this particular day I also had to leave the house to tend to an emergency and only got back home later in the day - my head wraps are the best when I have to do this. I leave the hair with the plastic cap over it and then just cover with a head wrap and off I go. Thank you for your question...keep them coming. x

      Delete

Post a Comment